As part of National Grid’s continued commitment to safety, all new hires must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or medical reason can request a reasonable accommodation.
About National Grid
The world of energy is changing faster than ever. At National Grid, the work you do will touch lives and shape the way we use and consume energy for generations to come. Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business. We’re planning, innovating and working to be as vital and relevant as ever before for our customers and communities. Join us and be at the heart of clean energy transition.
Department Overview & Job Purpose
The Tax Accounting and Reporting Team at National Grid is responsible for doing all income tax accounting for National Grid and calculating and reviewing the income tax amounts included in our financial statements.
National Grid Corporate Income Tax Department consists of several functions including the income Tax Accounting and Reporting team for which this intern position exists. This group is primarily responsible for maintaining the income tax accounts in the ledger and any tax amounts on the company’s financial statements including any related disclosures. This internship will provide excellent learning opportunities for an enthusiastic student eager to advance in accounting and taxation. The position will also enhance your knowledge about various federal and state tax laws and will provide the fundamentals of the US tax system and obligations as it relates to the company’s accounting and filings. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with other members in the Tax team and to participate in the Tax department and company's meetings, events and trainings. Every day, we operate to deliver a safe and secure service to our customers and as an employee of National Grid, you will be introduced to many of the company’s facets including a sustainable future for our utility industry.
The internship role within the Tax Accounting and Reporting Team will assist the team in a wide variety of projects. Projects will range from tax controls work to ensure we are in compliance with our internal controls to preparing draft financial statements and account reconciliations for team members to review.
This internship opportunity requires a commitment of at least one and a half years.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Assist with preparation of monthly tax provision calculations in accordance with US GAAP and IFRS.
- Assist with performing income tax account reconciliations, including tax basis balance sheets and account roll forwards.
- Assist with maintenance of income tax General Ledger within SAP and associated bookkeeping of journal entries.
- Assist with maintenance of income tax provision software (OneSource).
- Asist with preparation of income tax deliverables for the semi-annual financial statements in accordance with IFRS.
- Assist with preparation of the income tax deliverables for the quarterly financial statements in accordance with US GAAP, including the consolidated financial statements.
- Assist with preparation of the income tax deliverables for the quarterly financial statements in accordance with FERC & PSC reporting requirements.
- Support the US Tax audit defense function in analyzing the impact of audit settlements.
- Support the US Tax regulatory tax function in analyzing the impact of the rate case settlements.
- Support the US Tax research and planning function in analyzing the impact of the new transactions and legislations.
- Provide cross-functional support as required.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Accumulated 18 or more credits.
- Must be enrolled full-time in a degree program.
- Preferably pursuing a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Accounting and/or Taxation.
- Must commit to at least a year and a half internship duration.
- Exhibit high personal standards of commitment and integrity.
- Strong interpersonal skills and focus on team building.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Basic understanding of accounting, business, and finance principles.
- Have the ability to work a maximum of 20 hours a week during the school year.
- Authorized to work in the United States for the entire duration of the internship assignment.
- Must be located within a commutable distance to the designated work location of Brooklyn, NY.
Work Structure Overview
This Internship opportunity is classified as Hybrid, meaning in person work is required less than 4 days a week. As this position is classified as Hybrid, in person work will be required, therefore all eligible candidates must be located within a commutable distance to the designated work location of Brooklyn, NY. To continue with our commitment of transparency, more information will be shared about your work model as we get closer to your start date and would be in accordance with National Grid policies.
$16.88 - $18.50 an hour (Undergraduate Student)
$24.94 an hour (Graduate Student)
Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.