AIML - Machine Learning Research Scientist, Health AI
We are looking for an applied research scientist or senior ML engineer with a passion for developing machine learning to transform sensing data from the most worn wearables and devices into intelligent health experiences. You will join a close-knit team of highly accomplished and deeply technical research scientists and engineers focused on delivering cutting edge machine learning technologies to the health space. As a member of this team, you will have the opportunity to use your deep understanding of machine learning, artificial intelligence, and data science to solve challenging technical problems and deliver the next generation of Apple health experiences. You will perform applied research by defining, designing, implementing, and evaluating new machine learning models and algorithms to solve challenging problems involving unique data and objectives. In this role, you will collaborate with highly innovative product teams across Apple, and see projects through to deployment on over 1 billion Apple devices worldwide. The candidate must have demonstrated expertise working with real data and developing end-to-end solutions. We are seeking candidates with demonstrated interest and experience - via publications or products - in developing and applying machine learning methods to health related problems and data. The experience must reflect at least one of these areas: * Optimization, in particular discrete. * Reinforcement learning. * Recommender systems. * Graph neural networks and knowledge graphs. * Generative models for complex data.
Ability to distill vague product experiences into concrete problem definitions. A demonstrated passion for making methods robust, fair, private, efficient, and scalable. Skilled in explaining and presenting analyses and machine learning concepts to a broad technical audience. Proficiency developing machine learning solutions using Python and its associated ecosystem - numpy, pandas, TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc. - or other programming language. Provide , upon request during the actual interview process, 3-5 strong recommendation letters supporting the above mentioned key qualifications
Your responsibilities include: Researching, developing, and implementing the most innovative machine learning techniques mentioned under Key Qualifications applied to unique health data and problems. Actively engaging with the academic community by publishing papers and presenting your work as well as working closely with our partners at Apple. Transferring machine learning solutions to data scientists and engineers on product teams. Providing technical guidance to product teams on the machine learning approaches appropriate for a task.
Education & Experience
PhD in machine learning/data sciences (CS, ECE, Statistics, Operations Research, Math, Economics, or other related fields).
- 2+ years of research experience in academia or industry after the PhD (summer internships could be considered as experience).
- Publications in the leading venues for the candidate's area of expertise from the ones mentioned under Key Qualifications.
- Demonstrated abilities in problem formulation, algorithm design, and model building, including statistical analysis and evaluation.
- Passion for creating new technologies with high product impact.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
Pay & Benefits
- At Apple, base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within a range. This provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role. The base pay range for this role is between $130,000 and $242,000, and your base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location.
- Apple employees also have the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder through participation in Apple s discretionary employee stock programs. Apple employees are eligible for discretionary restricted stock unit awards, and can purchase Apple stock at a discount if voluntarily participating in Apple s Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You ll also receive benefits including: Comprehensive medical and dental coverage, retirement benefits, a range of discounted products and free services, and for formal education related to advancing your career at Apple, reimbursement for certain educational expenses including tuition. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses or commission payments as well as relocation. Learn more about Apple Benefits.
- Note: Apple benefit, compensation and employee stock programs are subject to eligibility requirements and other terms of the applicable plan or program.