Emerald (EEX), a publicly traded company, is seeking a hands-on, self-motivated and experienced Commercial Counsel to advise on inbound and outbound commercial contracting matters across our growing company. This new role will focus on partnering with our event, content and software teams to lead the legal review and negotiation of a wide variety of commercial contracts as well as training internal business clients and developing efficiencies in the contracting processes. Experience with licensing agreements, media contracts and privacy issues a major plus.
The best candidate is someone who is ready to roll up their sleeves and make an immediate impact. Reporting to the General Counsel and as part of a small legal department of a public company, the candidate will also have the opportunity to get exposure to a wide variety of other legal areas and special projects as desired.
- Primary attorney responsible for drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts across Emerald’s businesses establishing and governing relationships with the Company’s customers, suppliers, vendors, sponsors and other third-party business partners
- Draft and update templates for contracts including sponsorship agreements, licensing agreements, master services agreements, statements of work, consultant/contractor agreements and data processing addendums
- Work with internal business clients to identify and evaluate business and legal risks and develop internal resources including playbooks, FAQs, presentations and other guides
- Understand company-wide goals to develop and implement more efficient contract processes, policies and systems
- Be the point of contact for any new and updated agreements with customers and vendors
- Advise on and assist with other diverse legal and operational issues, including intellectual property, media and privacy law matters
- Law degree from an accredited law school and admission to the Bar of a state or jurisdiction of the United States.
- 7+ years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department; in-house corporate legal department experience is preferred
- Experience in drafting and negotiating a wide variety of inbound and outbound commercial contracts, terms and conditions, including SaaS, consulting, license, and service agreements
- Skilled at reviewing vendor contracts, SOW’s and sponsorship agreements
- Exposure to and a general legal understanding of IP an added benefit
- Outstanding judgment and integrity; intellectual curiosity, innovative thinking, and ability to provide practical and solution-oriented advice
- A strong team player attitude, with the ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels, including senior leadership and cross-functional peers
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to provide creative and pragmatic business-oriented advice and ability to properly balance risks and business reward
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, fluid, collegial corporate culture
To support our commitment to provide a healthy and safe work environment we require all of our team members to have received the COVID-19 vaccine. We utilize CLEAR as our verification partner.
Emerald’s talented and experienced teams grow our customers’ businesses 365 days a year with products that create connections, deliver content, and drive commerce. We produce over 140 annual events, create and deliver content through print and digital channels, and power commerce through our seamlessly integrated in-person and digital platforms and channels. For more information, please visit http://www.emeraldx.com.
At Emerald, we strive to foster a diverse and inclusive community. We actively recruit and champion candidates who bring new perspectives from varied professional backgrounds and experiences, and we are intentional about ensuring a positive hiring experience for everyone. Our job postings don’t contain experience inflation, and most don’t require college degrees. Instead, they’re crafted to focus on outcomes and transferable experiences that are assessed in a structured interview process carried out by trained hiring teams.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Target Compensation: $165,000-225,000 (Bonus eligible)
Please note that this range reflects a reasonable estimate of the target compensation for this position. This range may ultimately vary based on a candidate’s qualifications and may be higher where required by applicable law.
We offer a competitive benefits package designed to strengthen our employees’ physical and mental health, including unlimited vacation for exempt employees, flexible working locations, 401(k) plan with a company match, medical/dental/vision coverage with inclusive provisions including transgender services and fertility benefits, parental and caregiver leave, dependent, commuter and FSA benefits, professional development programs like Toastmasters, and mental wellness tools such as the Headspace app and weekly guided meditation programs.
If you need accommodation in our application process or have questions about our posted salary range, please email our Talent Acquisition team at [email protected]